Accessible Page Links




Page Tools

Main page Content

History

The small country town of Camooweal consists of only a few hundred people. Camooweal is land of the Indjilandji Indigenous Australians.
 
The town was initially established in 1884 to be built on a four-square-mile (10km2) plot by Lake Francis. A year later the present site was re-established and within a year a post office was built. Other milestones for the town were the addition of a police station in 1886, opening of a provisional school in 1893, drilling of the town bore in 1897 and the arrival of electricity in 1952.
 
The road through Camooweal to the Northern Territory was the inland defence route for World War II. This road was built by army engineers and carried over 1000 vehicles a day and there are numerous historical sites marked along the road.
Along the main road (the Barkly Highway) there are several caravan stops or van parks which will take mobile homes and tents. There is an airstrip that is used by the Royal Flying Doctor Service to bring medical services to the town.
Australian country musician Slim Dusty wrote a song entitled simply 'Camooweal' which features this town.